Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field where biological science and information technology are merged in harmony to develop and manage life-sciencesrelated systems and applications.The three-year course is a balance of IT and Life Sciences plus training in specific applications. The course is designed to produce multi-skilled graduates who are knowledgeable and well-equipped to support the rapid development and growth in the field of biotechnology and bioinformatics.
Students will initially be exposed to the core components of IT and computer science such as Computer Architecture and Organisation, Data Communications and Networking, Computer Programming, Object Oriented Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics and Probability, Database Systems, Systems Analysis and Design, Mathematical Techniques and Operating Systems.
Once the fundamentals are strengthened, the programme offers students a variation of bioinformatics specialisations and IT electives, such as:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Cell Biology
- Basic Human Genetics
- Legal, Moral and Ethical Issues in Life Sciences
- Introduction to Molecular Biology
- Basic Microbiology
- Bioinformatics Programming
- Bioinformatics Algorithms
- Parallel Computing
- Introductory Course in Pharmacology
- Database Design and Management
- Data Mining and Machine Learning Systems
- Computer Security
- Computational Intelligence
- Human Computer Interaction
- Computer Graphics
- Pattern Recognition
- Introduction to Human Pathology
- Web Techniques and Application
- Cloud Computing
- Information Systems Development
- Organisational Behaviour
Another significant component of the programme is a practical laboratory experience to further prepare students for the career world. Graduates will find opportunities in in a wide range of industries such as the health care industry (personalised medicine), the pharmaceutical industry (drug development), agriculture (crop development) and environmental management (biological degradation of wastes), as well as in academic research (gene and protein analysis). Potential career prospects include Bioinformatician, Biology Researcher in health care industry, biomedical, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, agricultural industry, environmental management industry, forensics centre, research institutions and universities.
Programme Educational Objectives
- A strong foundation in biological and computer sciences in readiness for a future professional development.
- Skills in the use and application of relevant tools and techniques.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Awareness of professional and social responsibilities.
- Ability to apply soft skills in work and career related activities.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts, principles and best practices.
- Ability to analyse the requirements to address problems or opportunities in relevant domains or organisations.
- Ability to recognise and pursue continued life-long learning throughout their career.
- Ability to blend innovative mind and entrepreneurial skills.
- Ability to relate moral and ethical values to the practice of a professional.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles, and theories relating to bioinformatics.
- Ability to apply principles and knowledge of bioinformatics in relevant areas.
- Ability to demonstrate the skills in analysing, modelling, designing, developing and evaluating computing solutions.
- Pass in related Foundation programme from a recognised institution
- Or Pass in A Level / equivalent with 3 principals inclusive of Mathematics and one science subject and a credit in O Level / equivalent for English
- Pass Diploma in related field from a recognised institution
- A minimum score of 5.5 for IELTS or its equivalent
- Pass Foundation / Matriculation in related field from a recognised institution.
- Pass STPM / A Level or its equivalent with 3 Principals inclusive of Mathematics and at least one (1) science subject and a credit in English at SPM Level.
- Pass UEC with minimum of grade B in at least five (5) subjects inclusive of Mathematics, English and one science subject.
- Pass Diploma in related field from a recognised institution.