The Centre for Teaching and Learning seeks to support excellence in teaching and learning, as well as development of the scholarship of teaching and learning in MMU that fosters significant, lifelong learning; transforms minds positively through knowledge; enhances the practice and profession of teaching, and brings recognition and reward to teaching.
Faced with a new generation of increasingly diverse millennial/digital student population, latest communication technologies, and changing educational priorities, educators need to learn how best to engage students in learning that matters.
In this transformation educators may have to document what they do, engage in sustained inquiry into their teaching practice and their students' learning , gather evidence, build and share knowledge to improve practice and publish.
A scholarship of teaching will entail a public account of some or all of the full act of teaching-vision, design, enactment, outcomes, and analysis-in a manner susceptible to critical review by the teacher's professional peers and amenable to productive employment in future work by members of that same community
(Shulman, in The Course Portfolio, 1998, p. 6).
Vision and Mission of CTL
Vision : An excellent resource centre for innovative teaching and learning.
Mission: Provide excellent teaching and learning consultations and services to all stakeholders by:
1. Promoting innovative teaching and learning in MMU by creating new learning environments and opportunities where communication, collaborations, resource sharing, and creativity are encouraged in ways that positively impact student learning.
2. Providing training and expertise in teaching and learning skills
3. Changing mindset of teaching / learning
4. Support and strengthen learning activities and assessment strategies that have proven over time to be effective pedagogical practices.
5. Promote good practice by providing services and programmes to support the educational development activities of individuals and academic units.
6. Foster and sustain quality and effective teaching /learning practice in MMU with exposure to innovative and sound pedagogic courses.
7. Develop and nurture a culture of collaborative academic community that places special commitment and pride in teaching and learning excellence.
8. Promote the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Excellence
9. Develop and nurture wholesome and knowledgeable students who will contribute positively to society and country