What is APEL (C)
APEL for Credit Award [APEL(C)] is the award of credits for prior experiential learning towards a course in an accredited programme of a higher education provider (HEP).
Prior experiential learning is learning based on experience. It includes all learning which you have done up to this point which has not already been formally assessed. These can be:
- life and work experiences (paid and voluntary)
- prior learning gained through community-based learning
- workplace learning and training
- continuing professional development
- independent learning
Join us at MMU now and get your prior experiential learning recognised for credit transfer through APEL (C)! The APEL (C) assessment will determine the extent to which you have achieved the desired course learning outcomes for award of credits within a programme of study. Credit transfer up to 30% of total graduating credits of a programme of study!
Who can apply APEL (C)?
- Registered students
- Local and International students
- Conventional or APEL(A) route mode of entry
- All courses including courses from PG programmes that are 100% coursework or mixed-mode
- All disciplines and MQF level (from Level 3 – Certificate to Level 8-Doctoral Degree)
- No minimum age requirement
- For all courses except for final year project, thesis and dissertation
Criteria for Award of Credits
- Students must demonstrate an achievement of at least 50% of each Course Learning Outcome to satisfy the requirement of credit awards
- The credit awarded is granted on the basis of the knowledge and skills acquired through informal and non-formal learning and not solely on the basis of claiming the experience itself. It is the learning and not the experience of the students which is being evaluated.
- The credits awarded through APEL(C) can be transferred automatically to another programme within MMU if the course for which credits have been awarded through APEL(C) has the same learning outcomes.
- The credits awarded must be equivalent to the credit value of the course applied for APEL(C). Award of partial credits will not be allowed.
- Credits awarded for a course are only applicable to the specific course applied.
- Credits are not automatically applicable to prerequisites (if any) of the specific course.
How do I find out more about APEL (C)?
Learn more about APEL (C) by contacting the Lifelong Education Department (Centre for LEARN) at
You will be assigned an APEL (C) Advisor who will support you through the APEL (C) process by:
- introducing you to the APEL Guidelines;
- building your confidence as a learner through identifying your strengths and skills; and
- advising you on how to prepare for your assessment.