During the four years of this major, students will develop expertise in electrical circuits and electromagnetic, with focus on power generation, transmission and distribution, as well as the latest technologies in renewable energy. Building a good foundation in engineering mathematics is also emphasized in the programme to better prepare the students for future professional engineering careers.
In addition, students will also be exposed to studies in basic economics, accounting and management, law and contract, moral and professional ethics, technical report writing, as well as effective technical communications. In their final year, students are required to work on graduation projects and are also placed in factories and technical companies for industrial training. This will not only expose the students to the real engineering working environment, but it will also enhance the student’s ability in research work and industrial experience.
Programme Educational Objectives
- Graduates assume a technical or managerial leadership role in electrical engineering or in any field benefitting from their engineering knowledge.
- Graduates embrace life-long learning through advanced study, training, or professional membership.
- Graduates are committed to professional ethics, sustainability, and appreciation of social values in their chosen fields.
- Acquire and apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals to solve complex engineering problems.
- Acquire technical competencies in a specialised engineering discipline to solve complex engineering problems.
- Identify and analyse complex engineering problems to reach substantiated conclusions using fundamental principles of mathematics, science and engineering.
- Design solutions for complex engineering problems that meet specified needs with appropriate considerations for public health and safety, society and the environment.
- Conduct research-based investigations into complex engineering problems to reach valid conclusions.
- Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools to complex engineering activities.
- Apply appropriate reasoning to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues that are relevant to professional engineering practice.
- Understand the impact to sustainability, society and the environment in the design and development of professional engineering solutions.
- Apply and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities in engineering practice.
- Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities in both oral and written forms.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader of a team in multidisciplinary environments.
- Recognise the need for, and acquire the ability to engage in life-long learning amidst change.
- Demonstrate engineering and management principles, as a member and leader of a team, in managing projects in multidisciplinary environments.
Either of the following:
- Pass Foundation in related field from a recognized institution;
- Pass A Level or its equivalent with 3 Principals inclusive of Mathematics and Physics;
- Pass Diploma in related field from recognized institution.
- A minimum score of 5.5 for IELTS or its equivalent
- Pass Foundation / Matriculation in related field from a recognised institution
- Pass STPM / A Level or its equivalent with 3 principals inclusive of Mathematics and Physics
- Pass Diploma in related field from a recognised institution
- Pass UEC with minimum of grade B in at least five (5) subjects inclusive of Mathematics and Physics